Niha has been inhabited since the Roman times. The most famous monument in Niha is the cave fortress (Cave of Tyron). This cave was used by the Crusaders and the Mamluks to control the vital road linking Saïda to the Bekaa valley (it also became famous as the refuge of Emir Fakhreddine).

The shrine of Nabi Ayoub is built on a summit overlooking the village of Niha where the prophet Job is believed to be buried. Pilgrims frequently visit this site. Niha is rich in old springs such as Ain el Qataa, Nabeh Niha, and the very old Ain el Halqoum.

It also has old traditional houses, two ancient churches (Saint Joseph and Saint Georges), two old bridges (El Jisr el Tahtani and Jisr Tareeq el Nahr), and an old water mill. Niha has a well run private guesthouse and an information center managed by the Shouf Biosphere Reserve

Distance from Beirut 69 km
Altitude 1,050 meters

Who is Fakhreddine?
Emir Fakhreddine ibn Maan is also known as Fakhreddine the Great or Fakhreddine the Second. He was a Druze prince and the first ruler of the Emirate of the Shouf. He was born in Baaqline in the Shouf Mountains in 1572 and united the territories of modern Lebanon as well as parts of Palestine and Syria under his authority.
The Fortress of Niha
Located 70 km from Beirut, the cave fortress of Niha is called “Cave of Tyron” in Frankish sources and “Chquif Tayroun” in Arabic sources. It is carved into the rock of a cliff overlooking the Bisri and the Aray valley and its strategic location monitors the road between Sidon and the Bekaa. Rooms were dug in the living rock to serve as shelter for soldiers, as depots, and for domestic use. It also had a considerable number of silos for storing provisions and rain water was collected on site as well as running water piped in from Ain el Halquoum nearby. It was well fortified and closed off to intruders.
The fortress was mentioned for the first time in 975 AD when Tamim, Emir of the Gharb, was besieged by the troops of the governor of Damascus. In 1133, the
fortress was occupied by a Druze Sheikh called Dahak bin Jandal al Tamimi who was later removed from the fortress by the Atabeck of Damascus. In 1241 the fortress became the property of the Crusaders and in 1251 the governor (wali) of Sidon led an army that occupied it. In 1257 the Crusader Lord of Sidon donated it to the Teutonic Order who did not hold on to it for long. In 1261 the Tartars invaded Damascus and sent Shahabaldin bin Bohtor to destroy it. When Baybars conquered the city of Damascus in 1270 he ordered the fortress of Niha to be rebuilt. It is believed that in 1585 the Emir Qorqomaz Maan took refuge in it shortly before his death. In 1633 his son Emir Fakhreddine and his family found refuge in the fortress from the Ottoman troops but was was later captured