Fact Sheet – M6 Project
Shouf Biosphere Reserve
Shouf Biosphere Reserve
Project Title: Building the ecologic and socio-economic resilience of the Shouf Mountain Landscape by restoring and strengthening the socio-cultural fabric which sustains its biodiversity and cultural values
[ Duration: 3 years ]
Society for the Protection of Nature in Lebanon
Italian Agency for Development Cooperation
Objectives and Activities
STRATEGY 1: Design and setup of monitoring systems and tools to periodically assess the evolution of the ecological and cultural values of the agro-silvo-pastoral systems and traditional practices, the natural habitats, and key species populations.
Outcome 1.1: Improved scientific knowledge and ability to monitor the state of biodiversity and ecocultural indicators of the landscape.
• Database of the Shouf Landscape biodiversity and ecocultural indicators is established and shared with relevant stakeholders
• Positive response of wildlife and flora to improved management of traditional agro-silvo-pastoral systems and natural habitats is documented
Outcome 1.2: Recovery of revenues of people living in the transition area of the Shouf Biosphere Reserve
• Develop and complete Marketing and business plan
• Equip three ateliers with light equipment
• Training based on marketing and business plans
• Study tour to one of the Reserve Management team accompanied by partner from Fair Trade Lebanon to South Africa
• Inviting Fair Trade Jordan to build capacity in Lebanon
• Certifying the products and packaging them
STRATEGY 2: Adaptive management of natural resources, based on the restoration of healthy agro-silvo-pasture systems and cultural practices
Outcome 2.1: Landscape multi-functionality restored.
• Participatory plan to restore functional terrace agriculture systems and associated cultural practices are designed and implemented
• Restoration plans for mountain pastures and wildlife are designed and implemented
• Effective management options for mountain pastures, wild and domestic herbivores are developed
Outcome 2.2: The adaptive management of cultural practices consolidated and up-scaled through capacity development, partnership building, and advocacy
• Stakeholders’ capacities for the implementation of cultural practices supporting the conservation and sustainable use of the high-value agro-silvo-pastoral systems are improved, with a special focus on women and youthProvide staff for project management
• Lessons learned on sustainable cultural practices supporting the conservation of biodiversity and enhancement of the high-value agro-silvo-pastoral systems are shared and disseminated elsewhere in Lebanon
• Community-based platforms (AGSBR, Municipal Committees) participate in the restoration of the traditional agro-silvo-pastoral systems and improved implementation of the cultural practices
STRATEGY 3: Diversification of the local economy, building on the green growth opportunities offered by the marketing of agro-forestry products (e.g. medicinal and aromatic/edible plants; honey) and services (eco-tourism), with a special focus on the empowerment of women and youth.
Outcome 3.1 Green growth achieved through economic diversification and the creation of infrastructures to support conservation and socio-economic development.
• The socio-economic conditions of local community groups are improved as a result of the marketing of selected products derived from the sustainable harvesting of wild plants/honey in the natural habitats, and the production of wild plants/local crop varieties in the agriculture terraces.
• Built infrastructure (House of Biodiversity, botanic gardens/trails) for the dissemination of knowledge on biodiversity and ecocultural practices and the commercialization of products resulting from the application of these practices is operational and generating income feeding into socio-economic development and biodiversity management.
STRATEGY 4: Development and adoption of innovative governance solutions for the management of land and natural resources, based on the concept of Hima, in pilot sites of the Western Beqaa Valley side of the Shouf Landscape.
Outcome 4.1: Participatory land use and resource management mechanisms in place in the Western Beqaa Valley side of the Shouf Landscape.
Mainstream knowledge and lessons learned from the adaptive management of the agro-silvo-pastoral system of the Shouf landscape into the laws and regulations concerning forest management, water and land use, agriculture and urban planning through policy dialogue and negotiation.
Lessons learned mainstreamed into the Lebanese policy framework through policy dialogue.
Best practices on the sustainable management of traditional agro-silvo-pasture systems feed policy documents
STRATEGY 5: Mainstream knowledge and lessons learned from the adaptive management of the agro-silvo-pastoral system of the Shouf landscape into the laws and regulations concerning forest management, water, and land use, agriculture and urban planning through policy dialogue and negotiation.
Outcome 5.1 Lessons learned mainstreamed into the Lebanese policy framework through policy dialogue.
Result 5.1.1 Best practices on the sustainable management of traditional agro-silvo-pasture systems feed policy documents
Activity 126.96.36.199 Assess baseline legislation and regulations in the target policy bodies. Identify gaps, needs, and entry strategy for lobbying and advocacy.
Activity 188.8.131.52 Produce policy papers featuring best practices stemming from the work in the Shouf landscape, as tools for the lobby and advocacy process.
Result 5.1.2 Recommendations for policy improvements are advocated to relevant ministerial departments
Activity 184.108.40.206 Develop an advocacy process including meetings, workshops, public events, visits of policymakers to the field, press trips and conferences.
STRATEGY 6: Build a new generation of environmentally aware and conscious citizens through formal and informal educational actions in the Shouf landscape.
Outcome 6.1 New generation of citizens educated on the value and importance of the eco-cultural landscape of the Shouf.
Result 6.1.2 Youth clubs are established and operational with effective involvement of youth population in educational programmes
Result 6.1.3 Concerned stakeholders are more aware about the high ecological and cultural values of the Shouf Landscape and Mount Lebanon
STRATEGY 7: Positioning the SBR as a key player in the generation and sharing of know-how, good practices, and lessons learned among high ecological value eco-cultural landscapes in the Mediterranean region
Outcome 7.1 International cooperation in place and know-how shared through regional networking.
Result 7.1.1 Exchanges between partners in the Shouf Landscape and other actors from high-value eco-cultural landscapes in the Region have mutually enrich knowhow and best practices
Result 7.1.2 Updated information on improvements in the adaptive management of cultural practices related to traditional agro-silvo-pasture systems and biodiversity in the Shouf Landscape is shared through the web social networks